Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Reason This Blog Exists.

I was born twenty-odd years ago to two people who fell madly (I mean that literally) in love with each other. For about ten years I was a dancer. Starting out at a small studio in the same shopping complex as my grandmother's hair salon, I would stuff my legs into nylons multiple nights a week and tap and jazz my little heart out. My very first dance routine was to the song, Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini.

I'll admit I enjoyed taking dance lessons. Not ballet though - hell no. But there was something imaginative about dressing up; sewing sequins on your own costumes and gluing on false eyelashes. We were putting on a show; a recital, and it had to be rehearsed a thousand times before to get it just right. And then we were judged on our physical appearance and our synchronicity if we were dancing in a group. We earned points for rhythm and musicality and bigger smiles. Dancing was competitive.

I quit dancing when I was old enough to realize it wasn't the competition I craved. What I craved was dancing and I didn't feel like being marked on whether or not I was doing it right. So after some convincing my mother allowed me to hang up my tights.


When High School happened I was very much looking forward to joining clubs and becoming a member of new teams. At my school there wasn't a whole lot of options for sports; basketball, volleyball, rugby, cross-country, badminton or field hockey if you were a female. I did love badminton and played throughout junior high and high school but I soon joined a fastpitch softball team outside of school. Here is where I fell in love with the sport of baseball.

A lot of people don't like baseball. They say it's boring to watch and hardly fun to play. Um..OK? If you think smacking a ball with an aluminum bat for people to chase down is hardly fun then you might want to try playing soccer. Baseball or Softball is as much a mental game as it is physical. I love that the game offers players the chance to work together and to challenge themselves individually.

The problem with softball is: it's not considered "a sport".
You won't find a game during the Summer Olympics.
Slow-pitch Softball especially is known as a leisure activity for recreational purpose only. But if we want to get involved we usually need to have a team because most players have been sipping beers and smacking softballs for years already.

Slo-pitch Softball in Calgary has grown immensely and the reason this blog exists is so that slowpitch players all over the city can gather and relate and share experiences.
Slowpitch Softball Shirt

Maybe you're looking for a team to join or you'd just like to know where to go to catch a game. For Calgary, The Slow-pitch Blog will give you access to information like this; as well as tips and tricks for being a better softball player.

Have any questions? Ask them in the Comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment